This program is designed to engage our 5th and 6th graders through a retreat format built on prayer, scripture, small group discussion, and hands-on activities in a peer setting.
Students who are registered in this formation program are required to attend the 3 retreat dates listed here as well as 3 additional dates that the parents choose to attend along with their 5th and 6th grader.
This equates to 6 dates in total. Three retreats for the child and three dates with your child and parent in attendance.
Children must attend all three retreat days for there are no make-up dates available.
You will be asked to join another formation program if a retreat is missed.
There is also an at-home curriculum to complete and hand in.
3 Retreat Dates:
Sunday, October 16, 2016 after attending the 12 noon Mass with family members. 5 & 6 graders gather in the gym from 1:00 to 3:00 PM.
Monday, January 23, 2017 from 7:00 to 8:30 PM in the gym
Tuesday, March 21, 2017 from 7:00 to 8:30 PM in the gym
Please enter by the side door of our school building across from the rectory.
Please use extra care when entering and exiting our parking lot.
Parents are asked to choose 3 dates to attend with their child.
(1) Holy Thursday Mass - April 13, 2017 from 7:30 to 8: 45 PM in the church
This is a very powerful Mass experience. There are readings about Jesus; there is the washing of feet (usually 12 parishioners) and great music. What is different is that at the end of Mass the priest reposes the Eucharist. That means he processes along with all the ministers who were on the altar and the choir and they all walk through the church and then place the Eucharist in the Tabernacle. The door of the Tabernacle is left open so people can pray. But remember it is almost Good Friday. There is evening prayer much later after this Mass. (The Eucharist is then removed from church after evening prayer.) The next time we celebrate Mass is at the Easter Vigil on Holy Saturday Night. During this Mass, we experience the meaning of the Last Supper, the celebration of Communion, the roots of the priesthood, and our Lord Jesus.
(2) Good Friday, April 14, 2017 – Walk with Jesus for children from 10:00 to 11:15 AM. We begin in the gym.
We walk the four Stations of the Cross with live child actors. We witness the Last Supper and also take bread and drink juice along with Jesus. We visit the Garden of Gethsemane, visit our church to hear of the Crucifixion of Jesus and end with our last station with a song and explanation of why this day is called, Good Friday.
We are looking for children actors to perform our Walk with Jesus. Rehearsal will take place on TBD, 2017 from 4:00 PM to 6:00 PM in our gym. Jeannine King, our Religious Education Coordinator, will direct this program.
Eucharistic Holy Hour - held monthly on Monday evenings from 7:00 to 8:00 PM in our church. Each Holy Hour we pray specifically for the intention of that evening. We sing a hymn, hear scripture readings, and pray in silence.
(3) Holy Hour September 26, 2016 for Our Families and Young Adults throughout our World
(4) Holy Hour October 24, 2016 for our Life
(5) Holy Hour November 28, 2016 for Thanksgiving
(6) Holy Hour February 27, 2017 for Faithful Citizenship
(7) Holy Hour March 27, 2017 for Peace
(8) Healing Mass - Saturday, December 3, 2016 at 12 noon in the church. This Mass is celebrated to help anyone who wishes to receive a blessing and pray for the healing of their mind, body, or soul. All are welcome.
(9) Community Interfaith Thanksgiving Prayer Service - Monday, November 21, 2016 at 7:00 PM. Church of Jesus Christ of Later Day Saints 1781 Raritan Road, Scotch Plains NJ
(10) Feast of the Immaculate Conception - Thursday, December 8 at 7:30 PM in tbe church. This is a Holy Day when we honor our Blessed Virgin Mary, the mother of our Lord Jesus. We recall that Mary is immaculate and that she was born without sin.
(11) Feast of Saint Francis - Blessing of Animals in the Saint Nicholas Prayer Garden (next to the rectory) - Bring your dog, cat, etc… for a prayer service and blessing of your beloved pet. Date: Sunday, October 2, 2016 Time: 3:00 PM
(13) Christmas Concert featuring the Saint Bartholomew choirs accompanied by a host of musical instruments. Saturday, December 17, 2016 from 7:00 – 9:00 pm in the church
Parish Lenten Mission with Fr. John Paladino and Fr. David Santos. The topic has yet to be determined.
(14) Monday, March 6, 2017 at 7:30 PM in the church.
(15) Tuesday, March 7, 2017 at 7:30 PM in the church.
(16) Wednesday, March 8, 2017 at 7:30 PM in the church.
Stations of the Cross on Fridays, during Lent, in the church
Stations of the Cross: During Lent there is an opportunity to walk through what Jesus, Mary, and his Disciples experienced on Good Friday. This is known as the Stations of the Cross. Each Friday the Stations will have leaders who will read the event that occurred and then the crowd reads a prayer. Some Fridays there may be music, one Friday the Confirmation Candidates will lead us in the readings and sometimes we may walk the stations outside or we remain inside. We meet in our church.
(17) Stations of the Cross March 3, 2017 from 7:30 – 8:30 PM
(18) Stations of the Cross March 10, 2017 from 7:30 – 8:30 PM
(19) Stations of the Cross March 17 2017 from 7:30 – 8:30 PM
(20) Stations of the Cross March 24, 2017 from 7:30 – 8:30 PM ~ Led by Level 1 Confirmation Candidates
(21) Stations of the Cross March 31, 2017 from 7:30 – 8:30 PM
(22) Stations of the Cross April 7, 2017 from 7:30 – 8:30 PM ~ Led by our St. Bartholomew Choir
(23) April 14, 2017 - Good Friday Outdoor Living Stations of the Cross ~ Presented by our High School Youth Group at 7:30 PM in the parking lot. We will walk outside as the sun sets with live actors from our High School Youth group. They will lead us in prayer and song and reenact the events of that day.